Favorite Books, Videos, Links, and Podcasts
The Hacker's Diet (site)
- Nice explanation of the basics behind counting calories, along with some tips and tools.
- Most people who lose weight end up regaining it. This site focuses on those who manage to keep it off. Contains some pointers to studies of successful maintainers.
- The easiest free calorie-counting site that I know of.
A Practical Approach To Strength Training (book)
- A science-based approach in a world of pseudo-science. Perhaps the most important point it makes is that one set of each exercise is all you really need.
The All-Day Yoga Workout - A.M., Stress Relief, and P.M. Yoga for Beginners (DVD)
- This contains three 20-minute yoga classes. Probably the best yoga DVD for beginners who know the very basics. Still one of my favorites.
- Nice, relaxing routine with Sara Ivanhoe.
Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy (book)
Thoughts & Feelings: Taking Control of Your Moods and Your Life
- Despite the hokey titles, these two books are based on the science of cognitive-behavioral therapy. They both contain exercises which are remarkably helpful in combating the irrational thoughts behind depression, anxiety, procrastination, anger, and other problems.